Monday, July 1, 2013

Dear Naptime..

I have fond memories of our time together when I was a child. I can remember the exact smell and pattern of my nap mat in kindergarten.  However through the years, I lost the art and joy of napping. As a typical (and now recovering) Type A personality, napping simply didn't fit into my schedule and became hard to justify.

However, as cumulative effects of my treatment take hold and energy deficits become the norm, I have been forced to get to know you in a new way.  I can't help but feel a little weak and lazy. But on the flip side, I also embrace the nurturing and child like nature that you can bring. I have come to value the importance of sleep as it relates to the tremendous cellular generation and efforts that my body is undertaking.

Regardless, I realize that there truly is an art to napping.  I can't help but feel a little envious as I look at those around me (you know who you are) who have mastered this art with great joy and productivity.  But it is through their success, that I realize that there are some simple guidelines that can help us newbies excel.


  • Couches don't count: As I am learning, while a couch snooze can be nice, if you are really intentional on being a master napper, you gotta get off the couch and into the bed.  However, if you must lay on the couch, it helps to have golf on in the background. 

  • Fully commit: Draw the shades, and get under the sheets. This isn't the time to go half assed. Create the environment to let your snooze succeed. 

  • Dress the part: A naptime outfit is key. It doesn't have to mean full pajamas, but a transition from your daily clothes into something comfy is imperative which I can TOTALLY get behind. 


While these guidelines from loved ones are helping, I realize like most things on this journey, it's about exploring and taking it one step at a time. For now, my priority is to listen to my body and when it craves some sleepy time, I am here to serve. And as far as role models who excel at the art of napping, I think my sweet puppy Buck is the best teacher of all.

Looking forward to getting to know you more naptime.

With gratitude ~ Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment