Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spirituality Meets Consumerism

"Be yourself. Be confident. Believe in what you are saying. Let yourself out. People want to connect with you and your story. Have fun, entertain, educate."

By the looks of the above. you would think I had just spent the last 24 hours at some intense self-help retreat learning the latest mantras towards self enlightenment, but not so. I was actually at a training to be a future on-air guest of a leading shopping network. While I went in with an expectation to cultivate my inner pageant girl, I was enlightened to learn that a rehearsed method of selling points is not actually what sells, it is connection. Connection with your audience, your host and more importantly ourselves.

It's amazing how the universe will do whatever it takes to get us to "hear" the messages we need at exactly the time we need them. I mean, here I was at the vortex of consumerim being delivered a profound spiritual insight to add to my most recent lessons learned.

Proof I suppose, that just when we think we may have some semblance of control, we are actually just pawns in this spiritual game of life. Ironically frustrating and relieving at the same time - for it is a reminder that letting go is the most direct path to that connection within. And with that, I let go of my yet to be unleashed inner pageant girl and continue to rely on good ole' fashion CONNECTION from which authenticity reigns free.

No comments:

Post a Comment